Durban Chops Chutney Recipe by Aunty Maurine
Durban’s iconic Chops Chutney.
Thank you very much to Aunty Maurine, for sharing her special recipe for this wonderful dish, so that we can all cook it at home.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Curry
- Cuisine: Indian
- Sunflower Oil
- Jeera Seeds (to taste)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Chopped Onion
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp dhania jeera powder
- 2 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tbs Kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 kgs Lamb Chops
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- Curry Leaves
- Green Chillies (to taste)
- 1 stock cube of your choice
- In a bowl, marinate your lamb chops with the 1 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp dhania jeera powder, 2 tsp ginger and garlic paste, 2 tbs Kashmiri chilli powder
- Fry 1 chopped onion in very little oil with a teaspoon of jeera seeds and 2 bay leaves.
- Crank up the heat and add the 2kg marinated lamb chops marinated and fry until chops are brown and all the liquid has dried up.
- Add 2 cans chopped tomatoes, curry leaves, 10 green chillies (more or less depending on your taste) & 1 stock cube of your choice to chops.
- Mix well and cook on medium heat until chops are cooked.
- Add a little water at a time only if necessary.
- Season to taste.
- Enjoy with pap / mielie rice /roti / etc.
Keywords: mutton, lamb, chops, chutney