Spicy Durban Chicken Curry Recipe
Thanks to Rajashree for sharing her recipe to this delicious, spicy, Durban Chicken Curry.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Durban Curry
- Method: Moderate
- Cuisine: Indian
- 16 pieces chicken (I used drumsticks & thighs)
- Oil (enough to cover base of pot) or as desired
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star aniseed
- 2 bayleaf
- 4–5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1tsp crushed ginger
- 1tsp whole cumin
- 1 tblsp medium masala
- 2 tblsp hot kashmiri masala
- 1 tblsp rombo rossi masala
- 1/2 tsp each of kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 tblsps tomato puree
- 5 potatoes halved/quartered
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil, add onions, cinnamon sticks, star aniseeds, bay leaves and whole cumin.
- Once onions start browning and is translucent, add ginger, garlic and all spices, stir well and add chicken and salt and stir well to coat chicken evenly.
- Cover pot and let it cook on low heat for 10 to 15 mins.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and potatoes and water as desired for a rich gravy and cook for 30 mins on medium heat, until potatoes are soft.
- Garnish and enjoy with rice or rotis or in a bunny!
- Spices can be adjusted depending on individual taste.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group, “We are Durban Curry Lovers“, where there are a whole bunch of wonderful people sharing tips, tricks & family secrets.
Please visit our Online Store, to purchase our amazing All-in-One Masala and other spices?
Not feeling like cooking? Visit The Curry Finder, to find a great curry in your area.
Keywords: durban curry, chicken curry, bunny chow, roti