Durban Chicken Bunny Chow Recipe
Thanks to Rajashree, for sharing her recipe to this incredible chicken curry – served in traditional Durban style as a Bunny Chow.
- 16 pieces chicken (I used drumsticks & thighs)
- Oil (enough to cover base of pot) or as desired
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star aniseed
- 2 bayleaf
- 4–5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1tsp crushed ginger
- 1tsp whole cumin
- 1 tblsp medium masala
- 2 tblsp hot kashmiri masala
- 1 tblsp rombo rossi masala
- 1/2 tsp each of kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 4 tblsps tomato puree
- 5 potatoes halved
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil, add onions, cinnamon sticks, star aniseeds, bay leaves and whole cumin.
- Once onions start browning and is translucent, add ginger, garlic and all spices, stir well and add chicken and salt and stir well to coat chicken evenly.
- Cover pot and let it cook on low heat for 10 to 15 mins.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and potatoes and water as desired for a rich gravy and cook for 30 mins on medium heat, until potatoes are soft.
- Garnish and enjoy with rice or rotis or in a bunny!
Please note: Spices can be adjusted depending on individual taste.