Govenders Original Crab Curry Recipe
This is the original Durban Crab Curry recipe by the man who practically invented the dish.
The beauty of this recipe, is it’s simplicity. The secret is in the ingredients, so take care to use the exact measurements and quantities.
This is Vijay Govender’s Famous Recipe – enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Durban Curry
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Indian
- 2kg Crab cleaned and cut
• 6-8 tablespoons Cooking Oil. Add a little more or a little less, to your preference.
• 1-2 large Onion (thinly sliced)
• 3 Cinnamon Sticks
• 8-12 medium Tomatoes (grated)
• 8 Green Chilies (split down the middle)
• 7 tablespoons Curry Powder (Mother-in-law’s or Extra Hot)
• 3 teaspoons Tamarind (diluted thick in ¼ cup water)
• 2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
• 2 teaspoon Jeera Powder
• 2 teaspoon Dhania Powder
• Sea Salt (fine)
• 2 tablespoon Ginger/Garlic Paste
• Curry Leaves
• Dhania Leaves
- Heat oil in pot
- Fry onions and then add ALL the spices listed
- Add the ginger/garlic paste, tomatoes, curry leaves, green chilies and tamarind juice
- Add the Crab pieces,
- Add sea salt to taste and cook for 20-25 minutes
- Garnish with Dhania Leaves
- Allow to stand before serving
Serve with rice or fresh white bread.
Keywords: Durban Crab Curry Recipe, Crab, Seafood Curry, Vijay Govender