Durban is famous for our Mutton Curry Bunny Chow, but we are equally as famous for our Durban Prawn Curry.
Variations are crayfish, langoustine & even Chicken & Prawn combo are all delicious.
This is an easy and yet truly tasty Prawn Curry recipe by Mrs Singh.
- 1kg prawn meat well drained
- 2 med. onions-finely chopped
- 8 large ripe grated / finely chopped tomatoes
- 8 cloves garlic ground , 1t/spoon ginger ground
- 4 elachi pods/3 bay leaves/salt to taste
- 1t/spoon jeera powder
- 1t/spoon methi seeds ground+ a grind of black peppercorns
- 1t/spoon Tumeric powder
- 2T/spoon garam masala
- 3 T/spoon chilli powder
- Greshly chopped: dhania(coriander)
- Shallot(spring onion)
- Curry leaves
- Treen chilli
- Heat butter and oil in a pot.
- Braise onions, garlic, bay leaves, elachi and ground methi
- Add tomatoes, spices, ginger, salt & curry leaves.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add prawns, stir and let simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Garnish with desired amount of green chillis.
If you desire a milder Thai flavour, then simply add a cup of coconut milk and a cup of fresh cream about 5 minutes after step 5.
Serves Best with Braised Rice or Roti and a fresh bowl of sambals.
NB.remember to remove the elachi pods before serving