Durban Tinned Fish Curry Recipe
I will never forget the first time that I ever tasted a Durban Tinned Fish Curry.
One of the sisters, by the name of Sam, who was absolutely instrumental in my curry cooking adventure, made it for us for lunch.
It was the first time that I had ever heard of, never mind tasted a tinned fish curry – and please excuse the pun … I was instantly hooked.
I think that I make a pretty decent tinned fish curry, here is my recipe, until I feasted my eyes on this absolute beauty by Aunty Maurine.
Wow … this is the real deal.
Aunty Maurine was kind enough to share her step-by-step recipe, so that now we can all cook this beautiful dish at home. Thank you.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Curry
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 Large Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- Half tsp Mustard Seeds
- Half tsp Cumin Seeds
- Few Dried Chillies
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Curry leaves
- 3 Potatoes cut in quarters
- 3 tbs Sunflower Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Red Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander and Cumin powder (Dhania & Jeera Powder)
- Heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds and let it popped.
- Add cumin seeds and dried chillies.
- Add onions and fry until lightly browned.
- Add ginger garlic, curry leaves and spices.
- Add potatoes and tomatoes.
- Add salt and water and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Clean tinned fish (this is necessary) and add to curry.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until oil surfaces.
- Serve hot with roti. Eniov
Keywords: Tinned Fish, Lucky Star, Durban Curry