Durban Green Banana Curry
If you are looking for a simple & delicious recipe for Meat-Free Monday, look no further than another iconic Durban Curry dish, the Green Banana Curry.
Follow this simple step-by-step recipe to cook this amazing dish at home.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Vegetarian Curry
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Indian
- Green bananas
- 1 sliced onion
- Dried Red Chilli, to taste
- Mustard seeds
- Jeera seeds.
- Curry Leaves
- Fresh Dhania (Coriander)
- Boil the green bananas until tender. Once cooled grate and keep aside.
- In a pot heat oil and add 1 sliced onion , dried red chilli, mustard and jeera seeds .
- Once onion is cooked add a little turmeric and the grated banana, curry leaves and salt.
- Cook on low for 15 minutes and mix 2 or 3 times while it’s cooking.
- Garnish with Fresh Dhania
How long do I boil the green bananas? Cut off both ends of each banana, make a slit along the side. Add the green bananas to boiling salted water and cook until tender, which should take about 20 minutes. When tender, drain the water and allow bananas to cool.
Hint: Rub a bit of oil onto your hands before handing the banana’s. This will prevent the sap from getting stuck on your hands and making your hands sticky.