Creamy Butter Chicken Recipe
Very few meals scream Mom’s comfort food, louder than homemade Butter Chicken. This creamy chicken curry, served with fluffy basmati rice is a firm favourite in my household. It is really easy to make and once mastered, I am sure that it will become a favourite in yours as well.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- 250ml fresh cream
- 100g real butter
- 3 Medium sized Chicken breast fillets (cut into cubes)
- 250ml thick Greek style yoghurt or Buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon of oil
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 2 Teaspoons crushed garlic (or to taste)
- 4 Teaspoons of finely grated ginger (or to taste)
- 2 Teaspoons of Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin (or to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons of Masala / Curry Powder for HOT or 1 Tablespoon for medium.
- 1 Teaspoon of Dhania Powder / Ground Corriander Seeds (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric
- Curry Leaves (to your taste)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Tin of chopped tomatoes (410g tin)
- 2 teaspoons of tomato paste (or 1 small tin)
- Mix the yoghurt, garlic, ginger, cumin, masala, curry powder, ground coriander and turmeric in a plastic container.
- Add the Chicken pieces and stir until they are well coated.
- Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions until they are soft. (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and all the yoghurt sauce and sauté until the chicken starts to go soft, or the sauce becomes thick and starts to stick on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, give it a good stir and gently bring back up to the boil.
- Add the Curry & Bay Leaves.
- Turn down to a low heat and gently simmer until the chicken pieces are soft and ready to eat.
- Add the fresh cream and butter to the sauce and stir through until dissolved and your sauce is thick and creamy. Make sure not to let the sauce boil or else the cream may split.
- Serve straight from the pan alongside or onto basmati rice and garnish with some fresh dhania leaves. (Coriander leaves)
Keywords: butter chicken, cream, durban curry