Rogan Josh means cooked in oil at intense heat. Another interpretation of the name Rogan Josh is derived from the word “Rogan” meaning “red color” (the same Indo-European root that is the source of the French “rouge” and the Spanish “rojo”) and “Josh” meaning passion or heat. Great for getting all the flavour out of your mutton chops.
1. Mutton 500 grams
2. Green Cardamom 4
3. Black Cardamom 3
4. Cloves 4
5. Fried Onion Paste 1 Cup
6. Yogurt 1 cup If sour,use less or as desired.
7. Sonth Pwd 3 tsp
8. Saunf pwd 4 Tsp
9. Kashmiri Red Chilli Pwd 4Tsp
10. Whole Kashmiri Chilli 4 in nos
13. Mustard Oil
- Smoke Mustard Oil and allow to cool a bit.
- Add Hing followed by whole spices.
- When the spices are fragrant add the Fried Onion Paste.
- Add the Mutton Pieces and sear for 4-5 Minutes.
- Whisk the Yogurt well with all the Pwd Spices and Salt. Add ,stirring fast till Yogurt Boils.
- Lower temperature and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add a little water and cook Covered or in a pressure cooker till Mutton Tender.
- Serve Hot with Steamed Rice
Note: If you are in a rush and you need to get a curry out fast, try this 35 minute Mutton Curry Recipe.